Social Innovation licenses to accelerate trust (selfaccelerating social innovation accelerator vol3)June 01, 2016
- OPENSOURCE: tools and products which both business- and non-businessworld can use & modify
- SIC: social innovative concept
- RESTAPI: popular way to distribute and share online data
- BOTTOM-UP: Team members are invited to participate in every step of the management process
The above illustrated cyclic flow (or parts of it) could happen thru human interaction and/or software.
Business vs non-business
The softwareworld has shown that opensource benefits both business- and non-business world. A possible explanation could be the use of licenses. The SI-world could be streamlined similarly, if it would simply apply 2 types of licenses to SIC’s:
license 1: VP (viral permissive)
- AGPL / GPL license
- Creative commons license
All SIC’s derived from a SIC with a viral permissive license, would automatically become virally permissive. A VP basically means: everything will be- and stay in the public domain. Everybody in the SI domain can read, re-use data of SIC’s. One could argue that people could abuse/ignore this license, but in reality (the softwareworld) this would be too embarrassing.
license 2: SP (semi-permissive license)
- LGPL license
This license would allow companies to monetize on another SIC. There are many cases why SI participants would want to use an SP license:
- boost the exposure of their SIC
- monetize on supporting the companies
Why it works
One can’t turn license 1 into 2 and vice versa. Therefore every good idea will have an open and closed version (think androidphones and apple phones). Example:
- SIC A starts with VP license
- SIC B & C want to work with SIC A (or build upon)
- therefore SIC B & C will automatically be VP
- Business X will not monetize on SIC A, because Business Y can do the same (since SIC A is in the public domain)
- Business Y could try monetizing on SIC A+B+C, because the combination could result in a unique service/product with SI-value
Whatever business is going to monetize on a SIVP-licensed SIC, it has to keep its data/modifications available to the public domain.
- SIC T starts with SP license
- Business X can immediately modify, build & monetize upon on SIC T
- Business X is not required to share its modifications/improvements of SIC T
how to keep SI accelerators healthy
This article has been greatly inspired by talks with the wonderful people of:
Credits: Arjan Biemans, Erna Bosschart, Bonno Pel, Kaat Peters, Liisa Joutsenjarvi, Christoph Grud, Ivan Kepecs, Oscar Racke, Anne Paavolainen, Peter Wolkowinski, Jonas Bylund, Peter van de Glind, and probably a lot of people I forgot.